Rwanda visa on arrival, no prior application for visa to Rwanda
Effective from 01 January 2018, nationals of all countries will get the Rwanda visa upon arrival without prior application.
Previously, one had to apply for their Rwanda visa online in advance before arriving Rwanda.
This was reached upon in the Rwanda government cabinet meeting on November 08, 2017, that approved the establishment of the new Rwanda visa regime. The new visa regime to be implemented by the Directorate General of Immigration and Emigration has the following policies:
- Reciprocity – Rwanda will gat visa free on charge with 90 days validity to the following countries on reciprocal basis: Benin, Central African Republic, Chad, Ghana, Guinea, Indonesia, Haiti, Mauritius, Philippines, Senegal, Seychelles, Sao Tome and Principe, and Singapore. This is in addition to Democratic Republic of Congo and East African Member Community Partner States.
- Visa waiver for diplomatic and service passports – The government of Rwanda has entered into Visa Waiver Agreement for holders of Diplomatic and Service Passports with; Djibouti, Ethiopia, Gabon, Guinea, India, Israel, Morocco and Turkey. This takes immediate effect.
- 3o days visa upon arrival- Citizens of all countries to get visa upon arrival without prior application, starting 01 January 2018. Before that, only nationals of African countries and few others were getting visa upon arrival.
- COMESA Member Stats to get 90 days visa upon arrival – Citizens of COMESA member states to get 90 days visa on arrival (on payment of the prescribed fee) as provided by Arrival 4 of the COMESA Protocol Free Movement of Persons, Labour, Services, Right of Establishment and Residence. Rwanda ratified the protocol on 13th July 2016. Currently, citizens of COMESA member states were getting 30 days on arrival as other holders of African Passports.
- Rwanda living abroad with dual nationality allowed to use national IDs on entry – waive visa fee to Rwandans traveling on foreign passports in possession of Rwandan Identity Card for countries that permit dual nationality only. Initially Rwandans traveling on foreign passport in possession of valid Rwanda passport were only granted visa free on arrival.
- Foreign residents to use their Resident ID cards for Entry – returning residents holding valid residence permits with corresponding reticent cards will be allowed to use them on entry, including using electronic gates (Automated Passenger Clearance System) at Kigali International Airport.
RWANDA VISA FEES:
These are fees for processing of applications. If applications are refused, or withdrawn by the applicant, refunds of fees will not be made.
Transit Visa – USD30
Entry Visa – USD30
Tourist Visa – USD50
Tourist Group (4-10 persons) – USD100
East Africa Tourist Visa – USD100
Diplomatic / Official Visa – Free
VALIDITY OF A RWANDA VISA:
The maximum and minimum period of validity of a visa is set out in the Information for Applicants for each visa class.
SINGLE OR MULTIPLE ENTRIES:
Whether a visa is issued for single or multiple entries is set out in the Information for Applicants for each visa class.
An applicant must have sufficient funds to cover the costs of their stay in Rwanda. Evidence for such funds may be requested online, at the Rwandan foreign mission or at the entry point.
Extension of a Visa for Some Classes:
Some visa classes may be extended. Details are set out in the Information for applicants for each class.
Extension of a visa should be applied for whilst initial visas remain valid.
A grace period of 5 days after a visa has expired is allowed for a person to either depart or renew their visa without a penalty, otherwise the person will be subjected to a penalty and may be refused a visa extension.
CHANGE OF STATUS FOR SOME CLASSES:
An applicant may apply to the Director General for another class of visa whilst they are in Rwanda and whilst their current visa remains valid.
For the group tourist visa change of status is not permitted. Information for applicants for the particular visa class will state if change of status is not allowed.
INSTRUCTIONS ON YELLOW FEVER PREVENTION MEASURES
While Rwanda is Yellow Fever free, following the current active outbreak of Yellow Fever in Angola and the documenting of imported cases in some countries, the Rwandan Ministry of Health is implementing measures to prevent the import of Yellow Fever cases and therefore protect the health of residents and visitors.
The following instructions are delivered to inform public and travelers:
1. To enter in Rwanda, a Yellow Fever vaccination certificate is not required for travelers (Residents/ Non-Residents) coming from Yellow Fever non-endemic countries and without an active transmission outbreak of Yellow Fever.
2. To enter in Rwanda, a valid Yellow Fever vaccination certificate is mandatory for travelers (Residents/ Non-Residents) coming from Yellow Fever endemic countries1 and countries2 with active Yellow Fever transmission outbreaks.
3. All residents travelling to Yellow Fever endemic countries1 should be vaccinated at least 10 days before travelling.
4. For travelers (Resident/ Non-Resident) coming from an active Yellow Fever transmission outbreak country2 or travelers who have recently visited (within 24 days) an active Yellow Fever transmission outbreak country2 the following instructions will be applied:
Yellow Fever endemic countries1: Angola, Argentina, Benin, Bolivia Plurinational, Brazil, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Colombia, Congo, Côte d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ecuador, Equatorial Guinea, Ethiopia, French Guiana, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Senegal, Sierra Leone, South Sudan, Sudan, Suriname, Togo, Trinidad and Tobago, Uganda, Venezuela
Active Yellow Fever transmission outbreak country2: Angola
For more information please contact Rwanda Directorate of immigration website
More information on preparing for travel to Rwanda
Rwanda National Parks and places of tourist interest
Leave a Comment